Opening post by Lady Wynafryd Hornwood · #1
Last week I took my banner out of ENVY and rode alone again. I did not leave because a trumpet called for it, nor because I expected a song about my courage. I left because a banner should mark a choice, and I wanted mine to be plainly seen.
Riding without another lord beside me makes every road feel longer. You notice the empty place where a second horse ought to be, and you learn which sounds belong to your own camp. That is not loneliness dressed as strength. It is simply the cost of keeping one’s decision.
The realm can argue over fallen keeps and old stories, as it always does. I would rather be judged by the road I chose than sheltered beneath a cloth whose purpose I no longer trust. For now, I ride alone, and I know why.